Friday, October 7, 2011

What a Day!

Yesterday was fantastic. I found a penny in a parking lot, and you know what means: "Find a penny, pick it up, and all day you'll have good luck."

Of course the Tigers beat the Yankees. I knew that was going to happen when I found the penny. Too bad, Jay-Z and Spike Lee, too bad A-Rod and Jeter, too bad New York and your over-the-top schmaltzy God Bless America in the seventh inning. Whatever happened to Take me out to the Ballgame? As the near-maniacal Dennis Eckersley kept saying on TBS, "The Yankees are going hunting." It's the Tigers who are moving on. (And speaking of baseball guys who become broadcasters, the joke at our house is that Jim Leyland is just using this postseason as an audition to become a talking head on some sports network. Not! We have come to cherish Leyland's incoherent mumbling. Of course three months ago we despised it, but now that everything he touches turns to gold we adore it.)

I was in such a good mood last night I didn't even mind that strike zone graphic TBS used that apparently was calibrated by a monkey who'd spent the night sucking down eight bottles of cough syrup. If a pitch was in that zone, chances are it was a ball. Even the announcers apologized for their graphic (although one of them called it "Fox Trax." Oops. Wrong network.) You know things are bad when your announcers have to apologize.

Speaking of apologies, the doctors office called yesterday and apologized. We've been in an eight-month long disagreement about some stuff and yesterday the office manager called, apologized for the mixup, apologized for the tone a member of their staff took with me, said they would be refunding the money I believed they owed me, and said they would now be doing a review of their policies and procedures. How often does that happen these days? Chalk it up to the penny.

More good stuff happened yesterday, but I won't bore you with it. It all makes me wonder what today will bring. One good thing has already happened. I have another piece posted on Think Christian today about the "Stewardship of Sports Viewing." I wrote this ten days ago about football because I didn't know if the Detroit Tigers would still be alive when it was posted. Sorry, Tigers, for the lack of faith. I just hadn't found the lucky penny yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment