Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Shades of Glee

This is a memoirish piece I wrote about growing up in Flint! For all my fellow Flintstones, the names have been changed. But, as any McKinley kid will recognize, I didn't change Mr. Barney's name. Not quite sure why. This was published in a Journal called "Perspectives," which is slumming by including me among its usually enlightened, high-class and often academically oriented articles.

In the sports pages today I read about the latest NBA player fined for making anti-gay slurs, proving, I guess, that homosexuality remains a "hot-button" issue for our society. Since my article touches on that topic, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Here's the link: http://www.rca.org/Page.aspx?pid=7385

4 comments:

  1. Great article, Jeff. Steve and I just started watching Glee a couple weeks ago. Your thoughts on Eugene ring pretty true for us. Years later, we can look back and remember kids from high school and college who were different in ways that we didn't identify immediately. We didn't focus on sexuality openly in my school until the middle school band director was exposed for making passes at students. All the guys knew, but we girls were totally unaware until the big brouhaha.

    As always, thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff - I'm glad you shared this again...with a wider audience. It's such a beautiful and sensitively written narrative of the pain of growing up and growing wiser.

    I think Eugene would be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said Jeff - I so admire your writing ability and your perspective!

    ReplyDelete